Spinalonga islet is located in Elounda Bay, 94 km from the city of Heraklion. In ancient times it was fortified, while over its ruins, the Venetians built a powerful fortress. Since 1903, the residents of the surrounding areas that were infected by Hansen’s disease were evicted on the island and soon it was turned into a Leprosarium. Today, the uninhabited island is a popular tourist attraction in Crete. In addition to the abandoned leper colony and the fortress, Spinalonga is known for its small pebble beaches and shallow waters. The island can easily be accessed from Elounda and Agios Nikolaos. Tourist boats depart from both towns on a daily basis.